Wednesday, July 11, 2012

free from the box

I personally think young people on the Navajo Nation need to experience Alaska. And I mean to say they should get familiar with Alaskan Native issues and their way of life because it's such an eye-opener. I feel like such a different person since coming to Alaska. You learn a new sense of appreciation for your own culture and you won't know its true value until you leave the rez. If you are able to drive home on weekends, that does not count as actually leaving the rez. 

Alaskan Natives have not been affected in quite the same way as the lower 48 Native people. To some obvious extent, yes, but how they handled their situation with the land and health care have been very different from the rest of the tribes down here. I didn't know they were supported by corporations. I know there is a Utah Navajo corporation, but that's only for the Utah Navajos. From subsistence hunting and gathering to everything else, Alaskan Natives are so different. Yes, Alaska is American and all that, but from a Native American's perspective, it is a very different territory. I was struck by the people and the culture. Never before in my life have I been so fascinated with another's culture. My love for Alaskan Native culture has grown just as strong as my love for Irish and Japanese culture.
I have not missed home yet. I miss many of course, but I am not homesick because I feel I still have to learn so much. It already has me thinking about future jobs and schooling. I was talking with APU professor Victoria Hykes-Steere and she said, "So when are you going to grad school?" I said, "It has to be soon. This English degree is not going to cut it." And she nodded her head in agreement. "You should go into Indian policy." Victoria's so matter-of-fact. I keep wondering why the hell nobody seems to know her on campus. "Do you know Victoria?" I ask, and the response is always, "Hmm, no." She's one of the rare jewels. I made a mental note to ask other natives if they've ever met her.

No comments:

Post a Comment